Race of my Life -Autobiography of athlete Milkha Singh
The Race of my Life by Milkha Singh
The race of my life based on the life of legendary Indian athlete Milkha Singh will be available in the market from august.Milkha Singh is more commonly known as The Flying Sikh.
Milkha Singh earns this nickname ‘Flying Sikh’ from a Pakistan’s General Ayub Khan when he defeated Pakistan’s faster runner Abdul Khaliq, Pakistan’s faster runner in 1962.
This book of Milkha Singh will give the outlook of the events and incidents that effected the life of this famous athlete.It will be a source of inspiration to all the young sports person.It will act as a tonic to them.This book really show that nothing is impossible for a soul on fire.
- Author : Milkha Singh
- The Race of my Life price : Rs.225
- Release date : Book will be released in August
- Children : Jeev Milkha Singh
This Autobiography covers important facts of his life like:
The Race of My Life represents the journey of refugee who ultimately become one of the most successful personalities in the history of Indian sports.
- Milkha Singh suffers a lot in his life.His life was full of struggle .This athlete experience everything poverty, tragedy but then also emerges as the most successful athlete.
- He was born in Pakistan in 1935 .His school was 10km away from his village .To reach school ,Milkha Singh had to walk barefoot on hot sand, and then swim across 2 canals but he overcame all these hindrances everyday .He took it as a challenge.
- He saw with his eyes how his parents and siblings were killed in 1947 partition .But Milkha Singh escaped,he ran for his life after his dying father ordered ‘Bhaag Milkha Bhaag ’. That is why the name of movie based on this athlete’s biopic is named as Bhaag Milkha Bhaag.
- This athlete got recruited in the Indian Army in 1951 when his talent got noticed and a Havaldar named Gurdev Singh saw his running skills.
- During his running days,Milkha Singh could sprint barefoot, anywhere, anytime and on any surface.The first time this athlete wore a shoe was during trials for Melbourne Olympics in 1955
Races and Awards
- Milkha Singh was awarded with Padma Shri Award in 1959 by Indian Government.
- In 1991,he was given the honour of being the Director of Sports and Youth Programme of Punjab Government.
- In the year 1957, Milkha Singh established national record in 400 m race which he completed in 47.5 secs.
- In 3rd Asian Games , held at Tokyo, Milkha Singh created 2 records in races of 200m and 400 m.He won 2 gold medals in these games for India.
- Milkha Singh occupied 4th Place in the race at Summer Olympics held in 1960.
- He won Gold Medal –in 4oom in Commonwealth Games (in 1958)
- In 4thAsian games , held at Jakarta, Milkha Singh won 400 m race thereby getting 1 gold medal for India.
- Milkha Singh is the only Indian athlete to break an Olympic track record.
- Milkha Singh has won 77 races out of 80 races.
Milkha Singh is a man who defines his own destiny. His life is always dominated by sports.
For more important facts of this book by Milkha Singh:Must read this